Please welcome Marie Garner to Shayna Renee’s Spicy Reads! We are spotlighting Marie’s debut novel Finding Eva, Book 1 in the Highland Creek Series.
Eva Matthews hates chaos. She worked hard as a high school teacher and prided herself on the life she had made. After a secret from her past sent her well-ordered existence spiraling out of control, all she wanted was answers. Her search led her to Highland Creek and into the arms of the elusive Aaron Sawyer.
Aaron was born a fixer. Every injured person or animal from miles around was treated to his personal attention, and he thrived on putting out fires as the local lawyer at Highland Creek. He never found a problem he couldn’t solve until Eva and although misconceptions led to instant dislike, he couldn’t stop himself from trying to heal her battered soul.
Although Eva is more than willing to engage in a summer fling, she isn’t interested in seeking Aaron’s help or complicating her life with anything long-term. How can the man who lives to fix things stay away? Could Aaron and Eva turn a summer fling into a serious relationship?
Tell us a little bit about what you are working on right now.
I am currently working on book two of my new Highland Creek Series, Saving Stella. In book one of the series, Finding Eva, you are introduced to Aaron Sawyer and Eva Matthews and all the people that live in Highland or are connected to those two on way or another. Saving Stella features Aaron’s older brother Bryan and an old classmate of theirs, Stella Barnes. Both Bryan and Stella have been burned badly through previous relationships so they have major trust issues, but it has been interesting to write them and see where their relationship takes them.
What are your essential items while writing?
I am addicted to soda, so I have to have a coke zero or a diet coke. I also need music; it helps me to focus on the scene I am writing.
What does your “writing cave” look like?
At this point I have more of a space than a cave. It has a comfortable chair that I sit in while writing, a desk I never use, and speakers for music. I try to keep it really simple (no cell phone) because I get distracted easily and I need to focus.
Who is your favorite author and what is it about their work that you appreciate?
I LOVE Kristen Proby, and if I ever get a chance to meet her it will be a dream come true (Hint, hint- I’m coming for you Kristen). I am a series girl, I love watching the relationships between the hero and heroine as well as various people within their lives. We don’t exist in a bubble, it’s those interactions that help shape our personalities, and I appreciate how she explores that through standalone HEAs.
Tell us five things about you that may surprise us.
- My pinkie is crooked and I can’t bend it comfortably because I got it stuck in an automatic door when I was four.
- When I was born I had to be quarantined and wasn’t allowed in the hospital nursery. Why? My older brother had salmonella right before my mother gave birth to me and it was a safety issue.
- My love of reading is what helped us discover I needed glasses. My dad held up a Sweet Valley High book in the library to see if I had read it before and I couldn’t see the title because it was blurry.
- I am obsessed with documentaries. My current obsessions are Blackfish and the 30 for 30 series that aired on ESPN.
- I tend to read and write hotter than I wrote Finding Eva. One of the people closest to me was so offended I toned it down a bit and I have regretted it ever since. Lesson learned- write what you want, people will either like it or they won’t.
Of ANY book character, who would you want to have a date with?
I recently read Finding Nico by Aurora Rose Reynolds (another author I fangirl about) and loved it, along with all her other books. I want to have a date with one of her secondary character, Sven. He’s been in a couple of her books and he seems like he could really wine and dine someone and show a girl a REALLY good time.
What is next for you?
I am doing a blog tour of my debut novel, Finding Eva, and I am working on book two and three of Highland Creek. Book two is what is currently writing and I am planning book three about Gwen (Eva’s best friend).